Louis A. ReismanShareholder / Director
Louis Reisman designs and implements estate plans, business succession plans and retirement plans for high net worth families. He applies over 40 years of experience, primarily with Weinstock Manion, to develop effective multi-generational strategies. Louis astutely helps clients navigate the difficult subjects of mortality and complex familial relationships, diffusing tensions that commonly arise between the parties involved. By listening carefully to his clients, learning about their families and businesses, Louis gathers the necessary insight to weigh the benefits, costs and restrictions of various alternatives before recommending a strategy. Throughout the process, he remains respectful of his clients’ goals, never attempting to justify a plan that is against their best interests.
During and immediately after attending law school, Louis was a CPA in the tax department of an international public accounting firm. His combined legal and tax expertise is ideal for developing plans for estate tax reduction, liability and creditor protection, charitable giving and life insurance strategies.
Louis was an instructor at UCLA Extension for over 28 years, instructing attorneys, accountants, financial planners and other professionals about wealth planning, income tax strategies, financial planning and retirement plans. As a result, he is masterful at explaining complicated estate planning strategies in simple terms. He frequently lectures on income tax and estate planning topics before professional groups, such as the USC Tax Institute, the USC Probate and Trust Conference, the California Society of CPA's, the American Association of Attorney-CPA's and medical professional organizations.
Louis has earned the highest rating, “AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 / 5.0,” on Martindale-Hubbell by clients and his peers, and has been named a “Southern California Super Lawyer" by Super Lawyers® each year since 2004. Additionally, Louis has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013.
J.D., Northwestern University School of Law, Chicago, Illinois, 1970
B.S., Accountancy, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 1967
- U.S. Tax Court, 1980
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1973
- State Bar of California, 1972
- State Bar of Illinois, 1970
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Beverly Hills Bar Association: 1972 - present
- Los Angeles County Bar Association: 1972 – present
- American Bar Association: 1970 - present
- Certified Public Accountant
- Pension, Profit Sharing & Other Retirement Plans, UCLA Extension, 1976 - 2003
- Retaining Family Wealth, UCLA Extension, 1992 – 1999
- Income Tax Saving Strategies, UCLA Extension, 1974-1986
- Business Succession Agreements, 2000
- Pension Rules & Probate Practice, The New Rules & Aggravation Family Law News, California State Bar, Vol. 3, No. 1, 1987
- More Ways to Divide the Retirement Plan: How to Handle Tax Aspects of Retirement Plan Disposition on Divorce, 1978
Honors and Awards
- "The Best Lawyers in America®," Best Lawyers, 2013-2014
- "AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 / 5.0” Peer Review Rated and Client Rating, Martindale-Hubbell®
- "Southern California Super Lawyers," Super Lawyers®, 2004 – 2014
- "Five Star Professional – Estate Planning Attorney," Los Angeles, 2014