Robert E. StraussShareholder / Director
Robert Strauss skillfully guides high net worth families, business owners and real estate developers and investors through the complex process of estate and wealth transfer planning. Rob approaches each client with a fresh perspective, conducting extensive discovery to discern their unique objectives, challenges and concerns. By considering a client’s full array of needs, assets and goals, Rob develops creative and customized solutions that reduce estate taxes, achieve liability and creditor protection and, if desired, incorporate charitable giving and life insurance planning. Rob’s clients appreciate his interactive style, responsiveness, and ability to communicate complex structures in plain English, enabling them to make informed decisions.
Rob applies experience as a transactional attorney to advise owners of businesses and real estate regarding business succession plans and pre-liquidity event wealth transfer plans. Conversant in current business and real estate trends, Rob effectively considers external variables along with the client’s business goals and personal needs to provide sound guidance.
As a teacher of Advanced Estate Planning at UCLA Extension and a frequent speaker, Rob is well-versed at communicating sophisticated estate planning concepts to a diverse audience. He enjoys the challenge of ensuring that everyone in the room, regardless of background, gains a visceral understanding of the topic. As a by-product of his teaching and speaking engagements, Rob remains ahead of trends in estate planning and tax law.
Highly-respected by his clients and peers, they have awarded Rob the highest possible rating, “AV® Preeminent™ 5.0/5.0,” on Martindale-Hubbell®. Additionally, he has been named a "Southern California Super Lawyer" by Super Lawyers® every year since 2005 and has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© each year since 2013.
J.D., UCLA School of Law, 1990
A.B., Economics, Harvard University, 1986
Honors: Magna Cum Laude
- State Bar of California, 1990
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1991
- U.S. Tax Court, 1991
- Beverly Hills Bar Association: 1994 - present
- Los Angeles County Bar Association: 1991 - present
- Los Angeles Estate Counselors Forum, Past President
- ProVisors, Beverly Hills I, Group Leader
- Advanced Estate Planning, UCLA Extension, 2003 – Present
- "Estate Planning Prior to your Deal," Provisors M&A Group, October, 2013
- "GRATs: Unconventional Uses for the Common GRAT," Beverly Hills Bar Association, August 2013
- "Current State of Estate Planning," 2013 IRS Valuation Summit, August, 2013
- "Estate Planning Prior to Your Deal," YPO MAST Seminar, May 2013
- "Creating the Legal Structure Including the Tax Consequences," Pepperdine University, December 2012
- "Creating the Legal Structure Including the Tax Considerations," Pepperdine University, March 2012
- "Opportunities for $5M Exemptions," The Financial Planning Association of Los Angeles, March 2012
- "No Regrets: Smart Advance Planning for the Eventual Sale of Your Company," California CEO Forum, March 2012
- “Creating the Organizational Structure Including the Legal Tax Considerations,” Certificate in Financial Management for the Family Office: Managing and Building Wealth through Effective Financial Management, Oversight, and Making Informed Investment Decisions, Pepperdine University, October 2011
- Estate Planning Update, Business Managers Discussion Group, July 2011
- The Basics of Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts ("GRATS") and Case Studies, South Bay Estate Planning Council, March 2011
- "Estate Planning in a Low Interest Environment," Critical Issues Affecting Estate and Charitable Planning, The Jewish Community Foundation, Los Angeles, April 2009
- Planning with Family Limited Partnerships, co-author, Credit Suisse, June 2012
- Plan Before You Sell
- Why You Should Take Estate Planning Seriously, Financial Sense, October 31, 2017
- Tax deadline looms for Prince estate; government to get half, Associated Press, January 17, 2017
- IRS Expected to Face Pushback Against New Estate Tax Rules, Bloomberg BNA, August 8, 2016
- Could Paisley Park become a Prince museum? Maybe not., USA Today, April 29, 2016
- Prince's Estate: No Will Could Mean Chaos, Tax bills and Lawsuits, Say Experts, Hollywood Reporter, April 27,2016
- "Top 20 Power Lawyers," The Hollywood Reporter, 2018"
- "The Best Lawyers in America®," Best Lawyers, 2013-2018
- "AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 / 5.0” Peer Review Rated and Client Rating, Martindale-Hubbell®
- "Southern California Super Lawyers," Super Lawyers®, 2005 – 2018
- "Five Star Professional – Estate Planning Attorney," Los Angeles, 2014