Blake A. RummelShareholder / Director
Blake Rummel is a litigator focused exclusively in the areas of probate, conservatorship, and estate and trust litigation. She has been successfully resolving disputes for almost 30 years, both in and out of the courtroom. Blake is highly respected by her peers, assisting them when client matters turn from administration to litigation. Although she is aggressive in representing the best interests of her clients, she treats every client with compassion and discretion, sensitive to the emotions that often cloud the parties’ ability to amicably reach agreement.
Through her representation of both fiduciaries and beneficiaries, Blake has tremendous insight into the concerns typical to all parties to a matter. In representing fiduciaries, she collaborates with the trust departments of financial institutions and other clients to ensure compliance with all statutory and fiduciary obligations. In representing beneficiaries, she advocates for their best interests and receipt of bequests as intended by the benefactor. In addition to individuals, she frequently represents charities, thereby helping clients fulfill their intended philanthropic goals.
While every matter has unique nuances, Blake believes that she is able to achieve the best possible outcome for each client as a result of the firm’s depth in estate planning and administration. Among the firm’s attorneys are experts in virtually every aspect of the estate planning and administration process. This leads to efficiency as well as being economically beneficial for clients.
A frequent speaker, Blake often presents on a variety of subjects for Continuing Education of the Bar, the State Bar of California, the USC Trusts and Estates Conference, the Los Angeles County Superior Court's Probate Volunteer Panel (PVP) training program and various others bar associations and organizations. She finds great fulfillment in educating others on the nuances of resolving trust and estate related disputes, and in volunteering for the PVP.
Blake was named 2017 Trust Litigation Lawyer of the Year by the Century City Bar Association. She is honored to have been named a “Southern California Super Lawyer” by Super Lawyers® each year since 2005 and has been rated “AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 / 5.0” on Martindale-Hubbell® by her peers.
J.D., S.C.A.L.E. program, Southwestern School of Law, Los Angeles, 1990
Honors: Dean's List
B.A., Political Science with a Specialization in Law & Society, University of California, Los Angeles, 1987
- State Bar of California, 1990
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1991
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2004
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Litigation Section
- Trusts and Estates Section
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
- Trusts and Estates Section
- In re Estate of Lewis, 184 Cal. App. 4th 507, 108 Cal. Rptr. 3d 800 (2010).
- "Hot Topics in Accounting and Bad Faith Objections," San Fernando Valley Bar Association, January 8, 2019
- "Trusts," The Basics Conference: Estate Planning, CEB, September 2018
- "Drafting PVP Reports: What You Need To Know," Judge Mary Thornton House, June 23, 2018
- "Estate Litigation," The Basics Conference: Trust & Estate Administration & Litigation, CEB, September 2016
- Guest Lecturer, Wills and Trusts, Southwestern Law School
- "Next Generation Estate Planning: Cryo-banked Genetic Material, What Happens After Death," Donald L. Stone's Inn of St. Ives, October 22, 2015
- "Ethics and Estate Planning; Guidance for Your New Year," Woodland Hills Tax and Estate Planning Council, Inc., January 8, 2014
- "Advanced Planning to Increase Your Likelihood of Settlement Conference Success," Settlement Officer Training Program, March 18, 2014
- "What to Expect at the Courthouse in 2013 - Local and State Developments," San Fernando Valley Bar Association, February 12, 2012
- "Expert Witness," Conference of Consulting Actuaries, October 25, 2010
- "Matter of Privately Retained Counsel," Annual Aviva K. Bobb Advanced Probate Volunteer Training Program, October 23, 2010
- "Probate and Trust Accountings," Beverly Hills Bar Association Trusts and Estates Section, July 15, 2008
- "Fiduciary Accountings: Put 'em Together, Pick 'em Apart," State Bar of California 80th Annual Meeting, September 29, 2007
- "In Consideration of the Accounting: When to Address $600.00 in Postage Charges," USC Gould School of Law Probate and Trust Conference, November 17, 2006
- 'Back to the Future' DeLorean Car Subject of Estate Dispute with DMC, Universal, Forbes, April 27, 2018
- Who Controls Florida Shooter's Inheritance?, Wealth Management, February 2018
- The Secret of the Simplified Chinese Character, 2018 Southern California Super Lawyers, February 2018
- Paparazzi at the Probate Court: Celebrity Estate Courtroom Drama, Forbes, June 20, 2016
- A strong spirit may transcend rules, just not probate rules, Daily Journal, May 2, 2016
- "Best Lawyers in America," BestLawyers, 2020
- "Leaders in Their Field - Private Wealth Disputes," Chambers & Partners High Net Worth Guide, 2018 – 2019
- "Top Litigators in Los Angeles," Los Angeles Business Journal, 2018
- "Trust Litigation Lawyer of the Year," Century City Bar Association, 2017
- "Top Women Lawyers," Los Angeles and San Francisco Daily Journal, 2017
- "Southern California Super Lawyers," Super Lawyers®, 2006, 2008 – 2020
- "AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 / 5.0” Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell®
- "Five Star Professional – Estate Planning Attorney," Los Angeles, 2014